3020 South Park Avenue
Herrin, IL 62948

Have You Ever Wondered – What To Do After A Car Accident

Have you ever wondered what to do after a car accident? There are some important steps that you should take.
Stay at the scene!
This is a very important step to take! Never leave the scene of an accident until it is appropriate to do so. If you leave, particularly where someone has been injured or was killed, you can face serious criminal penalties for being involved in a hit-and-run.
Pull over and call 911
After stopping your car and getting away from traffic, you should call 911. After you have done that you need to check on everyone who was involved in the accident and see if they are okay.
Exchange Information 
You need to gather the names and insurance information with everyone who was involved. Your insurance company and the other driver’s insurance company need to know what happened. After this, you need to cooperate with your insurance company and tell them the truth about what had happened.
Take Photos and Talk to Witnesses
Taking photos of any damage to your vehicle as soon as possible after the accident is very helpful for your insurance company. It can help your insurance adjuster determine how much you should be compensated for the damage of you car and can help in court.
Asking witnesses what they saw is also a good idea. You should get their names, numbers, and addresses if possible.
Get a Property Damage Valuation 
Obtain your insurance company’s damage valuation. If you aren’t satisfied with how your insurance company has valued your vehicle, don’t give up. If you can’t agree on your car’s value, consider mediation or consult an attorney.
Use Caution in Discussing the Incident
Don’t talk to anyone about the incident other than your lawyer, your insurance company, and the police. If called by another insurance company, be polite, but ask them to call your attorney or insurer to arrange an interview. Also, tell your lawyer or insurer about the call.
Consider Hiring an Attorney
If anyone was injured in the accident, it’s best to consult an experienced attorney. An attorney can help maximize your recovery if you are injured or better defend yourself if you are the one who is at fault.
 Mark Kochan | 618-942-8850 |www.kochanlaw.com

Comments are closed.